Research in the School is now focused on interdisciplinary themes, each of which spans the spectrum from basic science to clinical practice in either hospital or community settings.
The underlying aim is to ensure the optimum “translation” of fundamental knowledge to patient benefit.
Five Interdisciplinary Research Groups (IRGs) exist at present, along with a Special Interest Group. Cancer Studies and i3 gained the highest possible rating (5*) in the last Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) in 2001 and all five groups are now producing forefront international research. This is also reflected in a sharp upturn in external grants and awards, which for the year ending July 2006 exceeded £23 million per annum.
- Cardiff Institute of Infection & Immunity
- Institute of Primary Care & Public Health
- CardioVascular Science Cardiff
- MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics & Genomics
- Institute of Cancer & Genetics