Prof Adrian Edwards
Institute Director, Institute of Primary Care & Public Health
Professor Adrian Edwards is Professor of General Practice and Director of the Cochrane Institute for Primary Care & Public Health at Cardiff University, Wales, UK. He is also a part-time general practitioner in Cwmbran, Gwent, South Wales, and has a visiting professorship at Aarhus University, Denmark.
His main research interests are in quality and safety of health care, with current studies on safety in primary care, the epidemiology of harm in secondary care, self-management support in long term conditions, and implementation of shared decision making.
Methodological interests centre on systematic reviews, and Professor Edwards is a co-editor in the Melbourne-based Consumers & Communication Review Group of the Cochrane Collaboration.
PhDs - completed
- Lead supervisor for Dr Kathryn O'Brien 2006 – to date (examination March 2013); registered University of Wales; title: ‘Prevalence and natural history of childhood UTI in primary care’.
- Co-supervisor for Dr Paulina Bravo 2008-11; Cardiff University; title: ‘Psychosocial needs of People Living with HIV’.
- Co-supervisor for Pia Kirkegaard; University of Aarhus, Denmark; 2007-11; ‘Risk communication between GPs and patients with elevated cholesterol. A qualitative study of a complex intervention, focusing on decision making in the consultation.’
- Lead supervisor for Michelle Edwards 2006 – 2010; Cardiff University; title: ‘The development and practice of health literacy for people with long term conditions’.
- Co-supervisor for Dr Rhodri Evans 2005 – 2009; Nijmegen University, Netherlands; title: ‘Interactive health communication in prostate cancer screening and testing’.
- Co-supervisor for Melody Rhydderch 2002 – 2006; Nijmegen University, Netherlands; title: ‘Practice assessment and quality improvement in European general practice’.
PhDs – in progress
- Lead supervisor for Dr Andrew Carson-Stevens : Patient Safety in Primary Care. Oct 2012 - Sep 2016.
- Co-supervisor for Miss Grace McCutchan : Understanding the barriers to cancer awareness and help-seeking in people from deprived areas of Wales. Oct 2013 - Sep 2016.
- Co-supervisor for Miss Rebecca Richards : Exploring the potential of a mobile phone or tablet ‘app’ to help patients with cancer address their information needs. Oct 2013 - Sep 2016.
- Lead supervisor for Dr Stephanie Sivell , Cardiff University – approaching submission of ‘Published Works’ PhD – expected Spring 2013.
- Co-supervisor for Mrs Natalie Joseph-Williams , Cardiff University (2011 to date): Overcoming patient reported barriers to Shared Decision Making.
- Co-supervisor for Charlotte Harmsen, University of South Denmark, Odense, Denmark. ‘Interventions for chronic diseases: effect of patient values and effectiveness information on patients’ choice of therapy, adherence to therapy and satisfaction with therapy’.
Recent key publications
- The development of health literacy in patients with a long-term health condition: the health literacy pathway model. Bmc Public Health, Volume 12 2012 p. 130
- Interventions before consultations to help patients address their information needs by encouraging question asking: systematic review. Bmj, Volume 337 2008 p. a485
- Developing a facilitation model to promote organisational development in primary care practices. Bmc Fam Pract, Volume 7 2006 p. 38
- Personalised risk communication for informed decision making about taking screening tests. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 4 2006 p. CD001865